Our post this week is geared specifically to your Iceland destination wedding attire. Although Iceland is considered an exotic locale to hold a destination wedding, it does not yield tropical temperatures. Planning to have your Iceland wedding ceremony outside we recommend you have some type of bridal coat or a long sleeve wedding dress. Even Iceland summer brides should consider having one as well because the wind in Iceland can be chilly!
Now that I have thinking about it… Are you unsure of what coat style would be best for your Iceland wedding day? Or are you stumped on where to find a bridal jacket that will complement your Iceland wedding dress? You’re in luck! Today we will share with you some wonderful options you may want to consider when planning your destination wedding in Iceland. I think the best way to elaborate on this topic is to share with you my own personal experience. When deciding on what type of coat I wanted to wear for our Iceland wedding at Seljalandsfoss waterfall in April I considered the following:
- What Color (Do I match my Iceland wedding dress or be bold with my color choice)
- What Length (Full, at knee, at hips, cropped, or just barely covering the shoulders)
- What type of Material (Fur, satin, cotton, wool, a poly blend, lace, etc)
- Type of Trim (Fur, beading, ruffles, rhinestones, lace, feathers, or satin trim)
- How does the bridal coat or shawl fasten (Button, tie, hook, zipper, or wrap)
- New or Vintage
A couple questions I asked myself once I narrowed down what type of style I was looking for:
- Will it go with my fabulous wedding dress?
- Does it complement my husband’s tux/suit?
- Will it flow with our wedding accent colors?
- Should I have a custom bridal coat made? (If so, how early should I order a custom wedding coat? Answer: At least 8 weeks).
- Where should I look for premade choices or ideas for bridal jackets?
- Etsy! There are a lot of primo seamstresses on there that can make a unique option for you.
- EBay! Really awesome and most times an affordable. Search terms like “bridal coat,” “wool bridal coat,” winter bridal coat,” “white/ivory bridal coat,” “fur wedding coat,” “bridal shawl,” and “vintage bridal coat.”
- Your local vintage stores.
Types of Iceland wedding coats follow below:
- Satin Tied Fur Shawl
- Cropped Fur Coat
- Fur Vest
- Fur Muff
- Full Length Bridal Coat
- Waist Length Bridal Coat
- Icelandic Wedding Cape
- Colored Accent Sweater
- Icelandic Wool Sweater
- Icelandic Suede Coat
- Ruffled Stole
- Sequined Wrap
- Colored Suit Blazer
- Lace Overlay
- Hooded Fur Cloak
- Satin Wrap
- Feather Jacket
- Rosette Shrug
Our Iceland bridal coat photo inspiration today, comes out of my very own closet! We all have our vices, right? I can never say no to coats and polka dots =) After seeing all of these I bet you will be dying to know where all these gorgeous coats are from… You may have to scour EBay to find the exact ones but here is the list:
- Ivory Fur Cropped Bridal Coat (Etsy)
- White Wool Bridal Coat by M.R. Homme
- Pink Fur Coat by Arden B
- Suede Icelandic Coat by Nordic Wear
- Black Wool Princess Coat by Guess Marciano
- Black Fur Cropped Bridesmaid Coat (Etsy)
- Black Mohair Bolero by R&M Richards
- Ivory Asymmetrical Faux Fur Caplet by Cejon
I hope today’s post has led to some inspiration for your Iceland wedding style! Last year, we wrote a fantastic blog post featuring Icelandic wedding shoes; feel free to go back here and check it out to help further develop your Iceland wedding style. In the meantime, if you are considering a destination wedding in Iceland feel free to contact us to discuss the endless options and the opportunity for us to perhaps be your Iceland wedding planner and Iceland wedding photographers!
With a smile, Ann Peters (Iceland Wedding Planner & Photographer)
2014, Iceland Wedding Planner, All Rights Reserved.