Welcome current clients, future brides and grooms, friends, and other wedding industry professionals!
We hope this finds you well and super excited for the fabulous week ahead of you! Working in the wedding industry for more than a decade now, has given Chris and I a lot of insight into all different types of wedding locations and situations. That is one of the reasons why we planned to have a destination wedding -we personally wanted somewhere different that most.
Specifically, we were interested in a location we had never photographed before, that none of our guests had been, offered dramatic backgrounds for our wedding photos, and a place that would have more natural wonders then we could count –this was Iceland for us. In April 2012, we flew in 40 of our closest friends and family from around the world for our Iceland destination wedding at Seljalandsfoss waterfall. Following our Iceland wedding ceremony, we had planned a wedding day adventure for our guests that included a fun champagne toast at the famous black sand beach –Vik Beach, a stop at the powerful Skogafoss waterfall and an amazing 5 course wedding dinner alongside of the Ranga River. During our adventure wedding in Iceland, we were lucky enough to see the Northern Lights too <yes even in April>!
Ah, love + Iceland, still gets me off track every time! Now back to today’s Iceland wedding planning topic of the week…When Chris and I photograph each wedding, one of the “swoon worthy wedding moments” we always enjoy is capturing is the kiss! It is such an epic moment that signifies so much and is frankly loaded with a ton of firsts.
- Usually the first kiss of the day!
- First kiss as husband and wife.
- First kiss of the rest of your lives <insert corny cliché, lol!>
- The culmination of so much awaited anticipation.
- Your first kiss in front of one of Iceland’s dramatic landscapes!
- Serves as the seal of your marriage vows.
- Your first PDA in front of all you love and adore!
- The foundation of your marriage and your wedding vows (Remember, each time you kiss your husband/wife it should bring you back to that moment in time).
*Disclaimer: Alright so the rest of this post is a tad bold… But we seriously hope it stirs some dialogue between the two of you as you plan your dream wedding ceremony in Iceland.*
One of things we like to encourage our destination couples to is practice their Iceland wedding ceremony kiss. I know it seems totally silly, but you both need to be on the same page on when and how you will. <Insert slightly awkward moment>. Ha, yes I said “how!” So now that I have you thinking about the big moment and picturing yourself in it, let’s go over some helpful guidelines from our perspective as Iceland destination wedding photographers. Without further ado here are 10 tips to the perfect wedding kiss:
- Know when the kiss is going to be. Will it be at the end of the vows? After your unity ceremony? At the end of the ceremony? Will your Iceland wedding official make a formal announcement?
- Whose nose will be towards the crowd? Do you care? I personally did because I’ll be frank and say I’m not a fan of my nose. So when Chris and I practiced our kiss for our Iceland destination wedding at Seljalandsfoss waterfall, I was adamant about ensuring Chris’s nose would be towards the crowd. Practicing helped this be totally natural the day of our April wedding day in Southern Iceland.
- Don’t rush it!
- Put your hands on each other, yes I said it! Your kiss at the end of your Iceland wedding ceremony will be way more amazing if you go from standing side by side to holding hands or embracing. Cannot stress enough how important this is for photos so we can document that amazing connection. So grab her, grab him and bring each other in to really kiss!
- Make eye contact, smile, do the “slow lean in,” and tip your head.
- Close your eyes!
- KISS! Now, when I say “kiss” this does not condone “making out” in front of your wedding guests. You need to find a nice balance between the above and the millisecond kiss. Real Iceland Wedding Example: When we said “I do” during our Iceland wedding ceremony, we opted for holding hands and we went for the “1 one-thousand, 2 two-thousand, 3 three-thousand and complete,” kiss! That route adds to the dreamy feel your wedding photos will have and also allow for your Iceland wedding photographers to get a couple of shots and angles.
- Iceland Wedding Photographer Tip: Sneak in another kiss ½ way down the aisle. This makes for a gorgeous photo opportunity with your ceremony site in the background!
- Practice! …and repeat!
- Share with your photographer ahead of time if you plan to do something epic like a “woohoo” with the fist, jump for joy, or first kiss dip.
We hope our Iceland wedding blog post today, will prove to be catalyst of conversation between you and your soon to be so you can be ready for the sweetest kiss ever! Below, we share with you some super sweet first kisses!
With a smile, Ann & Chris Peters
© 2002-2013, Photos by Miss Ann, All Rights Reserved