Do you crave a unique accommodation experience while traveling? Maybe even seek one that comes with a journey or an unforgettable view too?! Look no further than the Iceland Igloo experience in the Aurora Huts at Fjallsárlón Glacier Lagoon! After all, who wouldn’t want to wake up to a view of Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull. Join us today as we share with you our firsthand experience at this new accommodation in Iceland…
Romantic Experiences in Iceland
Likely, if you’re coming to Iceland with your partner you want to share in a special moment or two. What better way to do that than checking out the 25 most romantic things to do! Well, there are two experiences we would love to add to that list we recently had ourselves… Firstly, booking the private luxury tour with Fjallsárlón Boat Tours is a fantastic way to spend 2 hours together.
For example you get the combination of an exclusive zodiac ride around the lagoon, champagne, and meal with a glacier view! Secondly, you dock on your own private island, have a short walk up to a cozy “bubble.” Note: We upgraded our meal to a hot BBQ three course dinner and brought a vintage bottle of Cristal with us (they supplied a standard Moët).
Further, this is 100% the way to go if you’re on your a self drive Iceland honeymoon, looking for a unique proposal location or want to celebrate an occasion in an unforgettable way! Thirdly, pairing this journey with a stay in the Iceland Igloo (aka Aurora Hut) is the epitome of feeling like a VIP!
Is there an Iceland Igloo Hotel?
At least a few times a month we get inquires about couples wanting to be married in Iceland and stay in an igloo. However, up until July 2022, a true Iceland igloo hotel did not exist. But the closest thing to an experience like at Kakslauttanen Igloo Resort in Lapland, was maybe the plastic bubble hotel or the four Panorama Glass Cabins. But not really, those do not have the same epicness attached to them.
Therefore, the excitement was off the charts when the folks at Fjallsárlón set out to invest in the floating Aurora Huts. Then created the once in a lifetime experience of staying on an Iceland igloo! To illustrate, this place has a completely different remoteness vibe. Which I’m guessing most folks would rather have versus being on land.
What it’s like to Stay in the Aurora Huts on Fjallsárlón Glacier Lagoon
Although the price tag on the floating Iceland Igloo Hut may seem high at first, we can confirm it is worth every single penny! And we have stayed at some of the most luxurious places and unique experiences in the world… From Africa to Antarctica and beyond so trust us! First, you will arrive to Fjallsárlón Boat Tours meeting location (to the left of the Frost Restaurant) to check-in. Next, plan to pack light (bring only what you need for the night / morning). Second, you’ll hike 5-10 minutes down to the lagoon where a zodiac awaits you.
Third, you board and are shuttled to your remote Aurora Hut for the night. Forth, your driver will give show you all of the amenities and features of the igloo and answer any questions. Fifth, you enjoy fully with the one you love!
Meanwhile, what is the actual hut experience like? Well, first we packed away our belongings underneath the bed. At the same time, we also took out the outdoor table and chairs and put them on the deck. Later, connected to the blue tooth speaker, jammed out to our fave playlist while we popped another bottle of vintage champagne and made a simple cheese tray. Enjoying everything outside for a while and inside on the bed!
Furthermore, the remoteness of the area is serene and the 180 degree view is insane! For instance, both Davíð and I were in complete awe as we watched the icebergs float by, flip, hearing and seeing the glacier outlet calving! Truly a hypnagogic nature experience!! In the morning, the only regret was not bringing hot chocolate packets with us. As we both would have preferred that over their coffee and fruity / flowery tea selection. Lastly, we packed up and waited for our zodiac driver to arrive for our checkout.
Iceland Glacier Hut Features:
- 180° view of the Fjallsárlón Glacier Lagoon.
- Double Bed with separate comforters (suitcase storage underneath).
- Built in Bluetooth Speaker.
- Small Kitchenette for two (with a sink, 2-burner stovetop, a few pots / pans, plates, bowls, cutlery and glasses). But maybe considering eating before you come or grabbing a sandwich from the Frost Restaurant to bring along for ease of enjoyment.
- Cooler (in the floor).
- 5- USB Outlets (no other electrical / power options available for use).
- 2- Towels (plus body wipes in the kitchenette drawers since no shower).
- Coffee / Tea and a kettle to boil water.
- Composting Toilet.
- 2 Outdoor Chairs and Table (under bed).
- Check-in Time for Iceland Igloo Boat: 5pm – 7pm. Checkout: 8:30 – 10am.
Pros of the Igloo Hut in Iceland:
- Exclusive experience not many will have (only 2 huts available as of August 2022).
- Privacy, as you are far away from the second Iceland Aurora Hut and nowhere near tourists gaze.
- 180-degree glass window views of Vatnajökull Glacier (largest in Europe).
- Nothing about this experience impacts nature… 100% eco-friendly (after all it floats and leaves no trace which we actually witnessed)!
- Each Igloo Boat offers a different view of the glacier outlet. We preferred the one closest to the glacier.
- Basic amenities (all you need) are included.
Cons of the Iceland Igloo Hut:
- Arriving to the check-in point felt rushed and chaotic.
- Once you’re there you cannot go anywhere (they are super strict).
- Beware: If you’re a kayaker / SUP enthusiast, you are not allowed to bring along or use during your stay.
- The top/ceiling of the glass igloo windows were covered and no way to take off during our stay. Which prevents above views.
- Icebergs rock the boat / hut at times through the night. Personally, we saw this as a fun nature feature but others may be startled by it while sleeping.
- The green anchoring ropes in the water are a bit of any eye sore if you’re of a photography mind. Would be nice to see them change them out to something more neutral.
Romantic Elopement Accommodation
Very few places in Iceland do we fully recommend for a romantic vibe. However these Iceland igloo huts / boat should not be missed! From the view outside to the coziness of the view from the inside. But I would not plan to stay for more than one night due to there not being any showers.
In conclusion, it is suggested you eat before you come and we whole heartedly agree. Which is why booking the the luxury tour picnic before is an ideal combo. After all, use every second of being in this unique accommodation to be in the moment with each other and reveling in the dynamic view instead of cooking! Ready to book an adventure elopement with an Iceland Igloo Hut as your base? Feel free to contact us for more information!