Nature lovers rejoice! Iceland offers not only incredibly dynamic landscapes to explore, but a plethora of species to see in within those incredible views. From whales swimming to foxes roaming and so much more. Especially if you’re a bird watcher too, because the Fuglabjarganes sea cliffs are a haven for wildlife!
Hiking in Vopnafjörður
Likely you’ve never heard of the Fuglabjarganes sea cliffs. Maybe it’s because it is truly a hidden gem within the Northeast of Iceland. In fact, you’ll find this enchanted place within a tiny town called Vopnafjörður. Being a village of just under 700 people, the area is not very popular in tourism except amongst fishermen.
However, the surrounding area offers beautiful hiking opportunities not to be missed! For example, here is a short list of the best hikes in Vopnafjörður:
- Drangsnes Beach Walk
- Gljúfursá Waterfall
- Fuglabjarganes Sea Cliffs (our fabulous feature today)
- Þverárgil Canyon
- Skjólfjörur & Ljósastapi
Directions to Northeast Iceland Sea Cliffs
Finding your way up to the Northeast isn’t always on everyone’s Iceland self-drive journey. But it should be if you have time or are looking to escape the typical tourist locations. Plus, it can easily slide into your schedule if you’re going around the entire island following the ring road. For example the Fuglabjarganes Sea Cliffs is the following distances from the big towns around the islands:
- Vopnafjörður = 15 minute drive
- Egilsstaðir = 1 hour 40 minutes
- Akureyri = 2 hours 50 minutes
- Höfn = 4 hours 10 minutes
- Vik = 7 hours 15 minutes (in summer taking the highland short cut otherwise 9 hours 35 minutes going through the eastfjords)
- KEF Airport = 8 hours (going through North Iceland)
Basically, if coming from Egilsstaðir, you’ll take Route #1 (the Ring Road) until you see Road #917 or Road #85 through the town of Vopnafjörður. Next, you’ll turn onto Road #913. As of today, you will not see signs, so it is best you plug in the GPS cords below or click on the map link to get there. But you will see a small dirt parking lot and what looks like a “sheep path/road” behind it.
Fuglabjarganes Hike Information:
Throughout our time exploring Fuglabjarganes, we realized it was an area we could easily spend hours at. Why? Because their is a lot of landscape variety here. To illustrate, the area offers gorgeous 360 views, a river, waterfalls, black sand beach, driftwood, crazy rock formations, and wildlife!
- Distance: 1.7 miles (one way)
- Hike Time: 1-2 hours depending on how much time spent stopping.
- Terrain: Narrow sheep paths, grass, swampy (if rain recently), and small river crossings (any times driftwood was placed as a bridge).
- Elevation Gain: 0 (unless you hike down and back up from the beachside waterfall then maybe 15ish feet).
- Difficulty: Easy Loop Hike
- Google Map Link
- GPS Coordinates: 65°51’28.9″N 14°45’03.1″W
- Best Time to Hike: April – October (depending on snow levels)
- Note: LEAVE NO TRACE – Keep hold of your trash, pick up any you find, and stay on the marked trails.
Fuglabjarganes Hiking Guide
So! Are you ready to begin the hike to Fuglabjarganes? Our Iceland Wedding Planner team would love to share with you this step by step guide to get you there. Also we will point out some must see stops along the way! Note, information is underneath each photo…
Step by Step Northeast Sea Cliff Hiking Guide:
Sea Cliff Wedding in Iceland
Being married cliffside is a dreamy moment in Iceland. And since we are a tiny island in the North Atlantic we have a lot of coastline cliffs for you to choose from! In fact, over 3,000 miles are just waiting for you to explore!
In conclusion, please keep in mind that hiring a local Iceland wedding planner will help you navigate through getting the proper permissions and / or permits in place for you. Lastly, if interested in a private sea cliff wedding ceremony and a full day of adventuring together, feel free to contact us for more information!