Hunting for accommodation in Iceland becomes more difficult every year, as our tourism industry continues to increase. So whether you are coming to Iceland for your wedding, honeymoon, a proposal, or a romantic getaway you’re probably seeking out as many options as you can. So your first question may be what area of Iceland makes the most sense to plant yourself in as “home base” as you explore during your honeymoon or romantic adventures in Iceland?
Easy for us to answer as local Iceland wedding planners: Southern Iceland hands down offers the most landscape variety and relatively close together. Nowhere else in Iceland can you see so many natural wonders in one day. Or anywhere else that you are literally minutes from volcanoes, glaciers, countless waterfalls, unforgettable hikes, amazing cliffs, stunning lava rock formations, black sand beaches, and endless amounts of textured landscapes! It’s easy to spend 5+ days discovering the south part of Iceland (even if you have visited before, there are still tons of things to see and do).
Furthermore, did you know… Iceland has over 30 volcano systems? Nestled among the stunning peaks of 5 of them, sits a lovely place for you to stay during your pre or post wedding plans (IE, Iceland honeymoon) or romantic getaway in Iceland. Allow me to introduce you to:
Imagine after adventuring all day along and then checking into an fantastic off-the-beaten path accommodation that boasts views of Eyjafjallajökull Volcano, Tindfjöll Volcano (currently dormant), Hekla Volcano, and Surtsey & Eldfell Volcanos (located a short ferry ride away on Vestmannaeyjar Islands), yes please! While other locations may exaggerate that they have volcano views, these apartments really do! On a clear day, all five can be seen. You get all those amazing views, all while still being 10 minutes away from the quaint yet charming village of Hvolsvöllur that has everything needed to support your adventures throughout the Icelandic countryside.
The Volcano Apartments is a family run accommodation just outside of the small village of Hvolsvöllur. There you will find a serene escape from the Ring Road (Route 1) that you’ll be able to delight in seeing Icelandic horses and sheep roaming. If you find your way to Iceland during the romantic Northern Lights season (typically between October-March) and the conditions are right then you may be lucky enough to look north and see them dancing over Eyjafjallajökull, Hekla or Tindfjöll Volcanoes! The Volcano Apartments team, are happy to offer you two fantastic apartments to choose from: Katla and Hekla. Today we would love to take you on a quick tour of both, so you can see where you could be staying during your Iceland honeymoon adventures!
Katla Apartment offers over 500 square feet for up to 5 people to share together. So! If you’ve been searching for a place where you can self-cater your own food, have space, privacy, be surrounded by beautiful quite nature and the local farm life, then look no further! The warm and inviting living room connects to the fully equipped kitchen to cook your homemade meals in.
There are 2 bedrooms within the Katla Apartment that will comfortably sleep up to 5 folks (perfect for a family or a close group of friends sharing beds). The master bedroom offers ONE queen bed and ONE single (twin). The other bedroom offers ONE queen bed. There is also a lovely bathroom with a shower as well to share.
Hekla Apartment offers a similar type of comfortable accommodation to Katla (slightly smaller at 480 square feet), but more geared to a couple on their honeymoon in Iceland or a small family traveling together (max of 3-4 people). But don’t fret, it still offers enough space for you to relax after a day of exploring the Icelandic countryside and ample area to cook a lovely meal together in the spacious kitchen.
Within the Hekla Apartment, there are 2 bedrooms, one of which has a queen size bed and the other bedroom has a bunk bed. If traveling as a couple on your honeymoon or romantic getaway in Iceland then the extra bunk room would be a fantastic place to store your luggage!
Both apartments come with important key essentials such as free parking, Wi-Fi, privacy, heating (no air conditioning needed in Iceland), television, and bathroom creature comforts such as shampoo, towels, and a hairdryer.
When you stay at this sweet accommodation in Southern Iceland, you’ll find that the Volcano Apartments are close to all of the “must see” tourist locations. So allow us to show you how close those locations are to the apartments, below. They all should for sure be on your Iceland honeymoon adventure list!
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall – 23 km/14 miles
- Gljúfrabúi Hidden Waterfall – 23 km/14 miles
- Vestmannaeyjar Islands – 34 km/21 miles (Note: You must book tickets ahead of time for this ferry ride to the island. Map link to the ferry HERE)
- Seljavallalaug Mountain Pool – 47 km/29 miles (40 minute hike)
- Skógafoss Waterfall – 50 km/30 miles
- Sólheimajökull Glacier – 60 km/37 miles
- Solheimasandur Plane Wreck 60 km/38 miles (2 hour hike)
- Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach – 80 km/50 miles
- Dyrhólaey Sea Arch and Lighthouse – 80 km/50 miles
- Village of Vík – 80 km/50 miles
- Katlatrack Adventure Tours – 80 km/50 miles
- Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon – 150 km/93 miles (hike as long as you want)
- Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon – 276 km/170 miles
From the West:
- The Golden Circle Loop – Map Link HERE.
- Landmannalaugar (Famed hiking area) – 113 km/70 miles
- Downtown Reykjavik – 103 km/63 miles
- Selfoss (town with more food / dinning options) – 60 km/37 miles
- Hvolsvöllur – 12 km/7 miles
Your next question is likely, what can be found in the town nearby to the Volcano Apartments: Hvolsvöllur
- The LAVA Center Museum
- Vinbudin (The only place you can buy alcohol – Open 11-1800; except closed on Sunday’s and holidays)
- N1 and Orkin Fuel Stations (offer food and small grocery selection – Open until 21:00)
- Saga Center
- Public swimming Pool + Gym: Sundlaugar
- Small Grocery store and Pharmacy on Route 1 in the town (Hours vary, but typically open at least from: 12:00-16:00)
- Post Office / Postur (Typically open from 11:00-15:00)
Lastly, don’t feel like cooking while you stay at the fabulous Volcano Apartments nightly? Don’t fret, there are several options you can checkout!
Restaurants in Hvolsvöllur (or close by):
- Gallery Pizza
- Gamla Fjosid
- Katla Restaurant (inside the LAVA Center)
- Strond Restaurant
- Rangá Restaurant (reservation required)
- Eldsto Art Cafe & Restaurant
- There’s no shame in a delicious Icelandic hot dog with all of the toppings from the N1 Fuel Station either if you want something quick! There is also a grill there open until about 20:00 each day too that does basic things like burgers, etc.
Woah! A lot of awesome information, eh?! We just want to be sure you know how cool of a accommodation Volcano Apartments in Southern Iceland is. This could also be a valid alternative for your Iceland wedding guests to stay at before or after your adventure wedding with us! We encourage you to reach out to the Volcano Apartments team directly for more information on availability and pricing for your stay while exploring Southern Iceland!
Volcano Apartments Information: